Monday, April 15, 2013

Actual Happy (short post)

"Everything is so fragile. There's so much conflict, so much pain. You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize this is it: the dust is your life, going on. If happy comes along -- that weird, unbearable delight that's actual happy -- I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get because it's here, and then, gone."

I found that quote from a comic book, of all places, and it got me thinking about how much time we spend NOT pulling the trigger.  We keep waiting for that right moment, for our lives to be perfect, for the situation to be perfect, for the stars to align properly before we make our move.  And by the time we're prepared to seize the moment, it's passed us by.  We convince ourselves we weren't meant to have what we want when that happens.  I'm accusing the human race of doubt-driven complacency.

I know I'm guilty of it.

I've done it a million times.  I've allowed myself to not pursue some things, some people, some goals out of doubt and fear.  Fear of rejection.  Fear of failure. Fear of humiliation.  Even fear of success.  And I know not all of us are afraid of the same things, but the fear is still there.  So now that this has been acknowledged, what is there to do with it?

My brother always tells me that the key is play recognition: realizing what you're dealing with at the point of impact, and then you strike at the first opportunity.  The flaw in that logic is finding the right moment.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Frank! great post...I know I don't normally write but it makes me think of things Ive learned from life, one of my/our favorite sayings is 'you don't know what to want' we think we know all the answers...what is going to make us happy/fulfilled/financially secure etc. etc. but in all honesty We don't know what to want. Case in point. Take Chris 6 yrs ago, tell him in 5 yrs he would, get married, quit his job many times, live in 3 different countries & improve his skill set for his career, start his own small company & be happier then when he was in full control. He would have Laughed in your face, argued until he lost his voice, he would tell you that Hell was more likely to freeze over...But he took a leap of faith and its crazy to imagine how things have fallen into place way better then any one of us could have planned.

    My other thought was the 'flaw' in the play recognition logic...The flaw is only in how you apply the analogy, the 'moment' is Now! its your life. The game or the 'play' is your every move you make throughout your life, career, relationships etc etc. its not handing you the ball at the 3 point line & saying 'this is your moment succeed or fail this shot is the determining factor' Absolutely not, its not a moment in the game it IS the game. Recognize the play...today the play I recognized was that when I went to work in the Neonatal ICU that a mother who's babe was ventilated and holding on needed some further explanation/comfort about her daughter and I was able to recognize & make her day better right now, in this moment...You do it all the time with the patients you take care of. Its recognizing the situation, and making yourself a better version of you and being that person day in and day out...in the end you will "Win" the game!

    Last comment, as much as fear can grab a hold of you & make you do certain things always know that no matter what situation your in good, Bad, humiliating, successes, failures, injuries etc...you have an entire team of people who are with you on the ride and there to love you, fix you up, cheer with you on no matter what happens as the outcome so just remember its unconditional we love you for being you!
    Ok, I digress, sorry for the dissertation...Lol See you TOMORROW! I say lets continue the convo over a large drink at BBQs!!

    ReplyDelete